Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Let's Talk Plastics

So I touched on my kitchen audit yesterday and how I had sorted organised and planned out meals to use up my food. So now it is the turn of my other kitchen cupboards. Now since I stuck on the idea of auditing the kitchen I have been researching online to find ways to audit the rest of the house. I came across this really great article from the Ian Somerhalder Foundation. It talked about the amount of plastic products we use in our kitchen and looked at ways of cutting down in order to be more environmentally friendly. It provided some really convenient and cost effective alternatives.



One of the examples was the number of plastic ziplock bags we use once and throw away. I am guilty of this. The lunches I send to school and work are in ziplocks, when I bake cookies they go in ziplocks, leftovers for the freezer go in yet more ziplocks. Would you believe in the process of my audit I found no less than five sizes of ziplock baggies! At the urging of the article I have started to think about alternative storage methods. One of those which was suggested was Mason jars. I love that idea. They can be used in the fridge and freezer and they are air tight. Perfect for cookies, candies, soups, stews lots of things. I am also enamoured with the retro feel they have to them! I look forward to my box arriving that I just ordered. I also got everyone a stainless steel lunch box. No more baggies!


No comments:

Post a Comment