Thursday, July 26, 2012

Feeding The Family During A Kitchen Refit

Modern kitchen
Modern kitchen (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

One of the biggest upheavals during our recent kitchen remodel was planning how to feed the family with our kitchen out of commission for about 10 days. What I did was set up a mini kitchen in the dining room. I put the table against one wall and put my microwave, kettle, toaster and grill on there. I also bought a plug in hotplate. I planned ahead and cooked some meals ahead of time that I could freeze and then reheat in the microwave. Things like stew and casserole. I also made a few stirfry dishes on the hotplate which worked out pretty well. We never had to resort to to take-out although we did eat at my mother's house on one occasion. It was summer, so we also grilled out a couple of times. The main issue was washing the dishes. I had to do it in the shower which is not really idea. I ended up steam cleaning it afterwards because I just felt a bit ick! Apart from that we survived pretty well. I tried not to use meals that were going to leave a smell lingering in the dining room.

I think that forward planning goes a long way in most situations. If we are prepared then we can breeze through difficult situations. I think this does for lots of things, not just preparing for a kitchenremodel! Think about when we have to take a trip, when we have someone in hospital or any number different situations. So with that being said, I have a new motto...

Be Prepared!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment